Sunday 31 August 2014

An Introduction to Morning Call 輕晨電 with lyrics to Fine

Are you guys familiar with a band called Morning Call ( 輕晨電)?

For those that aren't, Jasper Liu is the guitarist for this dreamy alternative band from Taiwan. At the moment, they are my favourite musical group...And no, it's not just because Jasper is in it. I've always been a big fan of alternative/ dream-pop/ shoegaze/ indie rock and electronic music...Looking at the Asian end of my musical tastes, I love the beautiful and moody sounds of Donawhale, Tearliner (both from Korea and on the Coffee Prince Soundtrack), as well as Beijing garage band, Hedgehog (刺猬) and the light and bittersweet tunes by Taiwanese alternative bands Autumn Tea (秋水茶) and Echo (回聲樂團)....So naturally, I've been drawn to the ambient sounds of Morning Call ( 輕晨電).


I think it's not that I like Morning Call because Jasper's in it, it's more like I've become even more of a Jasper fan because he's in such an awesome band! In fact, I was thrilled about this because it's rare that a drama actor plays in an indie band...most of the time they're in Chinese-pop boy bands (e.g. Aaron Yan) or are solo artists, again performing pop or rap (e.g. Will Pan), and there's nothing wrong with that, I think it's pretty cool that they can entertain in popular music, as well as on TV and movie screens. But being in a great indie band certainly makes Jasper cooler as an artist and more suave in my eyes because it shows that he does his own thing, and can move away from mainstream media rather than stay safely by it...

A direct translation of Morning Call's Chinese band name is 輕 (qīng) light, 晨 (chén) morning or daybreak, 電 (diàn) electricity. In a more coherent translation, the band's name is 'the electric light of the morning' or 'the light electricity of the morning.' It's a beautiful name that describes their delicate and dreamy sound perfectly. The band consists of Sui Ling (隋玲) singing the lovely vocal component of the songs, Jasper (以豪) on guitar, Xiao Ying (小英) on synths, Meng Shu (孟書) on Bass and Da Kai (大開) on drums (I've given their Romanised Ping Ying names as I'm unsure if they have other English names they go by), and they're signed by Eeelin, which is Jasper's modelling/ talent agency. As far as I know (from their reply to a question I asked on Facebook) they don't have an official album out yet (though they are working on one!), but they do have 13 songs which you can listen to on StreetVoice.


Their music belongs to the dream-pop genre, though they do experiment with quite a few different, edgier rap sounds in songs such as 'Harmony Searcher'...However, I definately prefer the softer, dreamier songs like 'Silent Poem' (無聲之詩), 'Hopscotch' (跳房子), 'Everything is asleep' (一切都沉睡了). I'll translate their lyrics each week...but I'll start with one of their English songs. This lovely little number is called 'Fine.'

Live performance of Fine in 2015



An early accoustic and live performance at 25 x 40 藝文空間Cafe in 2011


Fine (Unofficial/ fan-made) video clips




'Fine' lyrics

It's fine...
Breathing by myself

It's fine...
Waving by myself

If you're looking for other Morning Call Songs and their translations, check out:

Green


Silent Poem



Behind Youth


Deep Sleep


French Film


For Photos, Concert footage, magazine clippings and news about Morning Call, check out:

All Morning Call content


I have personally been to a Morning Call Concert. 
My recordings can be found on my YouTube Channel, These Dramatic Days:



 For Morning Call's Official Social Media:

3 comments:

  1. I really like the song Fine and some of their demos like 宇宙中心看見 and 法國片, I did pay attention to this band because of Jasper since I've been a fan of him since 2 years ago. I'm weak towards guys with great sunny smile like him (haha!). Still, this is quite a nice band, I had Fine on loop for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, it's nice to meet someone who likes Morning Call and is a fan of Jasper too! Especially someone who has been in the know about them for 2 years :) Haha, I totally understand about your weakness ;) He has a beautiful smile...me and my sister are always like, "Such awesome dimples!" Fine is such a nice mellow song...I've just had it on repeat too for the past couple of weeks...but have now moved onto some of their newer tracks like 無聲之詩, which is my new favourite. Have you heard these ones yet? :)

      Delete
    2. Yup, I did but I prefer their older tracks. 無聲之詩is not bad too.

      Delete