Saturday 17 October 2020

New Drama Premiere: Mike He 賀軍翔 & Ivy Shao 邵雨薇 take on Old Demon Hunting Legends in The Devil Punisher 天巡者

Although I've known about this one for awhile, the thing that always happens happened - I got caught up in posting about the first dramas for this year and then just neglected to talk about this one till airing time! But I've decided to give the drama more love as I like Mike He and Ivy Shao from past projects and I'm hoping they'll deliver their best in this drama. 

It also seems a bit quiet on the international front, though that may be because it's not released yet. I know the Taiwanese fans are looking forward to it as it's been deemed 'The Taiwanese Goblin.' Fans are also stating that the trailer is reminding them of Hotel Del Luna and Along with the Gods. I see it too - it's the styling of the characters and the supernatural-fantasy element. While I'm liking the marketing, I'm gonna say that I hope the drama goes on it's own unique path rather than aligns too much with Goblin especially because it's not a remake (not that I like remakes either!) But the story is based on the old Chinese mythologies of the demon hunter, Zhong Kui (Which you can read about here) and the goddess, Meng Po (Which you can read about here), so while the ideas are somewhat similar, the drama will be rooted in age of legends, hopefully making it a worthwhile watch. Oddly enough there hasn't been a very outlined plot released. The closest plot I could find was only a few sentences in Chinese which I've translated and simplified a little:

A story about the eternal love between Zhong Kui and Meng Po. Both were originally mortals in a previous life, but were separated in that time and have reincarnated as immortals. Zhong Kui has silently guarded Meng Po all this time even though she has forgotten the memories of their previous lives together. An explosion in the underworld sets off a chain of events that may lead the lovers to reunite.

You'll be able to watch the drama for free on Vidol or paid on Netflix. And come chat on the forums at Janghaven! Here are the official drama posters - I have to say the marketing is looking so damn cool! I'm really love the dark and mysterious Mike He, pure and sweet Ivy Shao and haughty femme fatale Amanda Chou character posters. Are you all looking forward to this drama too?








Other Posts you might like if you enjoyed this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment