Friday 18 December 2015

Picture spam: Bromance 愛上哥們 Moments Done Right Despite Chaotic,Cheesy Story Line

I've said time and time again, I'm not a fan of the drama Bromance - the story is just too bad and it feels like it's been written by teenage fan girls who just want to squish together as many mushy moments even when they don't make sense. Sometimes the dramatic situations border on ridiculous too. It's a shame because the premise was so good. I really wanted to watch a series about a kick-ass girl, with lots of action scenes, gangster crime story lines and a passionate should-I-shouldn't-I boy and boy love story (that is, until it's revealed that she's a girl and they can happily get on with it). SETTV, however, could not deliver.


But I do tune in every week for a laugh at how ridiculous things get as well as for some very intense chemistry between the leads. Thank God for Megan Lai and Baron Chen, who do the drama more justice than it deserves. They just have this super sparkly chemistry, on-screen and off. It's explosive and I feel like fireworks just flare when they take the screen together, especially for scenes that the scriptwriters haven't botched.

For all its GIANT gaping flaws and misgivings, Bromance does include some very sweet, passionate, and hot-under-the-collar moments among all the cheesy and terrible ones (I guess I'm just not a twelve year old anymore. I don't like every romantic moment, especially if it doesn't make sense...some of them are just awful in this drama. Here's an example what I disliked: the leaping-over-from-another-building's-rooftop scene, the-dancing-together-as-guys-to-save-family-reputation scene, the-taking-a-paintball-from-my-enemy-to-save-you scene and the taking-off-clothes-and-rubbing-bodily-heat-to-stop-illness-while-camping scenes. They were all so so so bad. From all the jokes that the actors make about their characters, I think they know it's terribly cheesy too) But let's just forget about those and highlight the more noteworthy romantic moments that have been done right in this drama. What are they, you ask?

1. Every time Zifeng and Yanuo do a neck-tie scene

Nothing like a necktie, close proximity and sexual tension all rolled into one moment. As the viewer you just want Yanuo to pin Zifeng to the wall and pull that tie towards her...Or vice versa when Zi Feng was teaching her...






2. That time that Zi Feng told Ya Nuo not to leave him. Ever.

I'm not a fan of tsundere characters most of the time. I think it's kind of abnormal and controlling, which is why I hated (and never continued watching) You're Beautiful. But for once, Bromance got this moment right over other dramas and it didn't feel overbearing on Zi Feng's part. He was angry, but not threatening. I think Ya Nuo's lines balanced it out by showing that she wanted to stay, but felt upset about everyone else's reactions. Zi Feng then said: "I don't care if the whole world is against us, you're not allowed to leave"...which is a lot better than in other dramas where the guy says "I don't care if you want to leave, you're not allowed to" (which is just scary). He also explained himself and how he felt scared to lose people, so it wasn't control-for-control's sake...it was more of a plead not be abandoned. So don't ever leave him Ya Nuo, ok?




3. That Pillow Fight

They really like to get Megan on top of Baron in this drama, off-screen and on. I'm totally fine with that. I think a Pillow fight makes sense if both of them are open to their feelings about becoming a boy-boy pairing (or so they think) with each other. Also it was beautifully filmed.







4. This girl initiated kiss

Yes. None of this waiting around for the guy to make the full move. If he's afraid, but totally wanting to do it...you go for it girl. Especially if you are the all charming and totally good looking Megan Lai.



5. This forehead kiss

When they're sleeping and they look cute, you just can't help yourself. Even if you're two so-called-straight-but-confused guys. One of you actually being a girl. Never mind.



Lastly, This Closing MV

Beautiful and ambient lighting with lots of longing looks between Megan and Baron.



1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you regarding this drama's plot/storyline seemingly being written by a teenage fangirl that throws in any amount of skinship as they can--whether it makes sense or not... Which, most of the time, it doesn't, but hey, I'm not complaining because more skinship from our fav couple! But the terribly cheesy and unnecessary scenes you mentioned above makes me cringe just thinking about it...

    Megan and Baron's crazy, sizzling chemistry is the only reason I'm so addicted and is sticking with the show. They're so good together and Baron is just, ugh, SO HOT. Like, how is it that he literally cannot keep his hands off Megan for an entire scene (on/off cam)? He's ridiculous. I mean, as long as she's comfortable and okay with it, I'm just like dying and melting because they're so darn steamy together!

    ReplyDelete